Thursday, August 1, 2013

America 1933: the Great Depression, Lorena Hickok, Eleanor Roosevelt, and the Shaping of the New Deal

Title: America 1933: the Great Depression, Lorena Hickok, Eleanor Roosevelt, and the Shaping of the New Deal
Author: Michael Golay

Lorena Hickok, a top woman news reporter and dear friend of Eleanor Roosevelt, was hired by FDR right-hand man Harry Hopkins to embark on a grueling journey to the hardest hit areas of the country to report back on degree of devastation. What I liked was the sobering truth reporting. I was thinking of my parents who lived through it and got married in it the year 1937! My mom was 17, my father was 24. Sadly they had little or no education or godly wisdom to sustain the marriage. They were divorced in 1952!
Non-fiction; rated 4 out of 5
Reviewed by Michael Furlong

No comments:

Post a Comment