Thursday, July 16, 2015

To Kill a Mockingbird

Title: To Kill a Mockingbird
Author: Harper Lee

     Intrigued by the hype surrounding the "sequel" to this iconic novel, I re-read the original (after 40 years!) It holds up beautifully after decades of being a classic and best-seller. In many respects it was way ahead of its time, highlighting topics like women's achievements (in the character of Scout), and race relations and discrimination. Of course, the central character is the iconic, uber-principled lawyer Atticus Finch who teaches Scout, Jeb -- and all of us -- life lessons.
     This is a must-read. I will not read the alleged "sequel", as I understand it devolves into denigrating Finch's integrity and long-term adherence to his high standards and values.
     Please leave me my heroes!

Fiction; rated 5 out of 5
Reviewed by Jan
    

No comments:

Post a Comment